Friday 24 July 2015

I haven't been able to paint much this week as life is getting in the way but I have been giving some thought to the next painting in my "window" series. Which season to do next? Autumn seems the obvious choice, but do I use the same scene through the window as the summer painting or a different one? I'm thinking of putting apples on the window sill as these represent the autumnal harvest. One of my favourite poems is "Moonlit Apples" by John Drinkwater which a friend has written out in beautiful calligraphic handwriting and I've had framed. It's evocative of my childhood, when my grandfather used to bring home boxes of Cox's Pippins in autumn from the farm where he worked. Wind-blown leaves in various colours; a flock of birds flying off to the warmth; a misty aspect, maybe as in Keats' "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness"; should I include all or some of these in the scene?

Anyway, meanwhile I have two small canvasses ready and waiting for a summer harvest set up and I've collected three vases together which could make an interesting still life for the second one. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick up a paintbrush soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment